Exchanging a foreign license for a Cyprus driving license is permitted as long as it is issued by a country where the driver’s license is considered to be equal to the one normally issued in Cyprus.
Converting a foreign license to a Cyprus driving license calls for:
- An application form (TOM 7B)
- Two recent passport pictures
- An identity Card for Cypriot expats or an alien certificate of registration for foreigners (both the original and a copy)
- A passport (both the original and a copy of the first page, including the applicant’s personal information)
- The foreign license (the original as well as a copy of all the pages it includes, along with a picture). The license must be translated, unless it is in English or in Greek. The translation must be conducted by the Press and Information Office or by the embassy of the country where it was issued.
Applicants must hand in all the necessary documents in person at the local Road Transport Department or one of the Citizens’ Service Centres.
- In case the applicant is over 70 or in case the driver’s license is valid for Category Γ, Γ+Ε, Δ, Δ+Ε, Γ1, Γ1+Ε, Δ1, Δ1+Ε vehicles, then a Health Certificate must be attached
The applicants must go to the local Road Transport Department or to one of the Citizens’ Service Centres, in order to issue their Cyprus driving license. The holders of a driver’s license issued by any EU countries have the option not to exchange their license for a Cyprus driving license after six months of residence in Cyprus. However, any holders of a driver’s license issued by a non EU country are obliged to exchange their license for a Cyprus driving license after six months of residence in the island.
Exchanging a foreign driver’s license for a Cyprus driving license falls under the 2001 Driver’s License law.